Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Nanny Wrights sewing box

 
Today I was going through some of my crafting things and there sat my great grandmothers sewing box.   Its amazing to me everytime I open it.  It was in storage until a couple of years ago and then my grandmother gave it to me.  I have never been able to get rid of one thing in the box.  I am sure some of the material and trim has dry rotted, but it is a reminder of my Nanny.  She sewed so many quits and clothes for us growing up.  In fact I found the last quilt she was working on before she died. One day I will finish it. I think this box is a way of holding on to all of the memories of my great grandmother.  I learned a lot from her and I am blessed that I was able to have her in my life as an adult.  She died before Kevin and I got married so she was never able to see my children. I know that there is a part of her in them and I am thankful.

1 comment:

  1. That is really cool! I have an old quilt that was falling apart, but I couldn't get rid of because it was in the family for ever. So I started to take it apart in order to reassemble it, only now I'm a little bit overwhelmed with all of the different size squares/rectangles. I know I must stablize the material before sewing it all together, and don't know where to start. Does anyone have any suggestions? Kim, are there any tricks in your great grandmothers kit? Really, a grandma would be the perfect one to swoop in and fix this quilt! Hope to get some good suggestions.

    ReplyDelete